Thursday, January 13, 2011
The longest running art fair west of New York, photo l.a. brings together photography galleries from around the globe, displaying excellent examples of contemporary photography, video and photo-based installations along with masterworks from the 19th century to over 10,000 attendees.
Programming for photo l.a. includes:
· A panel discussion with world-renowned photographer Stephen Shore examining the La Brea Matrix, an exploration of the cross-cultural exchange between art photographers on both sides of the Atlantic that examines the iconic power of the photograph Shore took on the corner of La Brea Avenue and Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles on June 21, 1975.
· Collecting seminars with Chrissy Crawford Malone (ArtStar.com & LittleCollector.com), Weston Naef (founding curator, J. Paul Getty Museum Department of Photography) and W.M. Hunt (New York-based collector, curator and consultant).
· Panel discussions and conversations with Jean Michel Cousteau, Manfred Heiting, Arthur Ollman, Alex Klein, Amy Arbus and Jeff Sheng.
· Book signings and lectures with internationally renowned photographers Uta Barth (“The Long Now”), Zoe Crosher, Lyle Ashton Harris (“Excessive Exposure”), Ron Jude (“emmett”) and Michael Light (“LA Day/LA Night”), Andrew Moore and others.
· Meet-and-greet with Joey L., whose distinctive style of photography is showcased in the “Twilight” film posters.
Photo l.a. runs from January 13-17 at the Santa Monica Civic. Definitely check it out if you have a chance. You can find more information at photola.com.
All images courtesy photo l.a.