The lovely Grace Bonney of design*sponge
I'm a big fan of design*sponge. It's the first blog I check every morning, especially when I'm too rushed to read my long blog-roll or scroll through the beautiful & important, but sometimes hard to decipher Swedish design blogs. Grace is a whiz at summing up all the emerging global design trends and she's always pointing out small ways that everyone can afford great design in their life, regardless of their budget.
I love her interested respectful style of writing and her way of making you feel like you're reading the thoughts of a good friend (with impeccable taste). Apparently I'm not the only one. When the editorial folks over at O, The Oprah Magazine want to check out the latest design happenings, they click over to her blog. It was voted one of the top design blogs by Time Magazine and New York Magazine and has received coverage from just about everyone including The Washington Post, Newsweek, House & Garden, Vanity Fair, Domino Magazine, Business Week, The New York Post, etc.
I've been meaning to sit down and interview Grace for awhile now, but since I'm on some production deadlines, it looks like that will have to wait. In the meantime, she was sweet enough to answer those silly but fun THINGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ME questions. Enjoy! And stay tuned, lots of super cool designers and stylish people emailed me their deepest secrets...
THINGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT GRACE BONNEY:
A) FOUR JOBS I HAVE HAD IN MY LIFE:
1. personal assistant/record liason for mike gordon (ex phish bass player)
2. waitress at a horrible country club in va. beach
3. style editor for hgtv's ideas magazine
4. juice bar queen at a fitness center in va.
B) FOUR MOVIES I WOULD WATCH OVER AND OVER (AND DO):
4. legally blond (the first one)
C) FOUR PLACES WHERE I HAVE LIVED:
1. richmond, va
2. va. beach, va
3. williamsburg, va.
4. brooklyn, ny
D) FOUR TV SHOWS I LOVE TO WATCH:
1. sex and the city (reruns, anything)
3. top chef (when it's on)
4. project runway
E) FOUR PLACES I HAVE BEEN ON VACATION IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS:
3. martha's vineyard, ma
4. ocean grove, nj
F) FOUR WEBSITES I VISIT DAILY (Or at least Weekly):
1. eater (curbed's food website)
2. oh joy
3. husmusen (my favorite design site, hands down)
4. perez hilton (yup, no shame)
G) FOUR OF MY FAVORITE FOODS:
1. any sort of potatoes baked with cheese on top. you can't go wrong with potatoes and/or cheese.
2. grilled fish. preferably tuna or salmon
3. mango salsa or plain salsa. it makes any dish better
4. chocolate. did I mention chocolate? I could probably live off of the chocolate bruno at blue ribbon sushi in brooklyn.
H) FOUR PLACES I WOULD RATHER BE RIGHT NOW:
1. in a little cottage in the woods (with air conditioning) listening to birds (instead of cars)
2. the lake district, england. the most beautiful place i've ever seen.
3. montmartre. heaven on earth.
4. well i'm home alone so i'd rather be out at a nice dinner with my boyfriend.
I) FOUR FRIENDS WHO I THINK WILL RESPOND:
well if I was sending this out:
1. kristina of three layer cake
2. rena at rare device (but I'd have to beg her)
3. maria at port2port
4. my boyfriend (but i'd seriously have to beg him)